On the estuary of the River Mawddach and Cardigan Bay, with a population of 2,000, the town originally grew around the shipbuilding industry before becoming a small seaside resort.
The maritime heritage of the town includes several buildings which are all situated around the harbour area. The refurbished Sailors Institute houses many artefacts, pictures and paintings and Ty Gwyn, which dates back to 1460, has a Shipwreck Museum. Ty Crwn (the Round House) was built as a lock-up and shows what life was like as a prisoner in 1830 and the RNLI Lifeboat Museum displays information, photographs, crew kit and equipment and subject to operational requirements and availability of staff, you can go inside and look around the station.
Barmouth Bridge is a largely wooden railway viaduct that carries the Cambrian Coast line across the Mawddach; it includes a footbridge and pedestrians can walk the 900 yards by the side of the track across the estuary.
The Dragon Theatre is situated in the centre of Barmouth and this converted Victorian chapel houses a 186-seat traditional theatre auditorium. Facilities at the Pavilion Leisure Centre include a climbing wall, four badminton courts, health suite, fitness room and a soft play area for children under 5.