Llanfairfechan (population 3,750) is a small town between Penmaenmawr and Bangor; it was developed in the late C19th as a holiday resort, popular for its sea air and safe bathing. Much of the town's Victorian character remains, with a long spacious promenade and original stone built shops in the town centre, now a conservation area.
In the hills above Llanfairfechan, the ancient Roman Road forms part of an historic trail. Meini Hirion Stone Circle, known locally as The Druids Circle is within easy walking distance. Standing above the town is St Mary's Church, from which the town takes its name, first mentioned in 1253. The present building, on a circular Druid site, dates from 1849. The Coedydd Aber nature reserve is located on the northern side of the Carneddau Mountains, south-west of Llanfairfechan.
The main attraction for visitors is the spectacular waterfall, but the valley is home to a diverse range of habitats, from mixed woodland to grassland.