Penrhyndeudraeth lies to the east of Porthmadog and north-east of Harlech. The present village was laid out in the second half of the C19th century by the local landowner on land reclaimed by the drainage of stagnant marshes.
The lower half of Penrhyndeudraeth used to be a lake, which was then drained to create the area where the village's High Street is today. Portmeirion, just to the north of Penrhyndeudraeth, was designed and built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis between 1925 and 1975 in the style of an Italian village and has served as the location for numerous films and television programmes, most famously as The Village in the original 1960s version of The Prisoner.
The gardens at Portmeirion are blessed by a very mild climate which allows many exotic and tender plants to thrive and with all year woodland gardens, sub-tropical plants, palms and more formal borders.