Located to the north of Dolgellau, the village is off the A470 and has a population of just under 1000. The village is close to Llyn Trawsfynydd, a large man-made reservoir which was originally built between 1924 and 1928 to supply water for Maentwrog hydro-electric power station.
The lake was subsequently also utilized for the supply of cooling water to the twin reactor Trawsfynydd nuclear power station. Trawsfynydd ceased to generate electricity in 1991; all fuel has been removed from the reactors and decommissioning is well underway.
Part of the former Blaenau Ffestiniog to Bala railway line was kept open to serve the power station; it finally closed in 1998, although the track remains. Located to the south of Trawsfynydd off the A470, Coed y Brenin Forest Park was Britain's first purpose-built mountain bike centre; it is still the largest with seven single-track trails covering 140km with everything from challenging orienteering routes and geocaching to world-class mountain biking trails.