- £400 per week
- £57 per night
- 3 Guests
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- 1 Pet
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 1 double bed
- 1 single bed
- 1 WC
- Towels provided
- Family friendly
- Travel cot
- Garden or courtyard
- Enclosed garden or courtyard
- On-street parking
How far to ...?
- Beach 49 miles
- Pub 0.25 miles
- Shop 0.25 miles
- Open fire or woodburner
- Smart TV
- Walk-in shower
Important - please note
- Check in: 4:00pm
- Check out: 10:00am
- Several changes of level, internal steps and stairs; low ceiling and beam in kitchen.
Fiddler’s Cottage is a Grade II listed half-timbered terraced cottage in Montgomery, an historic border market town 10 miles NE Newtown, 8 miles from Welshpool, 20 miles to Shrewsbury. The cottage is full of character, with beamed ceilings and walls, stove in the brick fireplace, and some original dark oak floorboards, but guests should note that there is some restricted headroom and several steps within the property.
It is a short walk uphill to Montgomery, a beautiful little town with unusual shops, pub, excellent restaurant (with Michelin star), cafes, galleries and a very steep climb up to the ruins of Montgomery castle, with far-reaching views. Excellent local walking in the area, including Offa's Dyke, Kerry Ridgeway and the Severn Way. Powis Castle (NT) is nearby, and Welshpool has a leisure centre and golf, Welshpool-Llanfair Caereinion Light Railway.
- Entrance: Via a flight of shallow steps down through the front garden to the door.
- Sitting Room: There are five further steps down, once inside the front door, into the sitting room, which is furnished with two-seater sofa, easy chair, 32" Smart TV with built-in Freeview and WiFi hub (fibre optic broadband), Welsh dresser and a wood burning stove in the large brick fireplace. One further step down into the:
- Kitchen Diner: Cream painted and oak dining table and four chairs, and a traditional kitchen with Belfast sink, cupboards, electric cooker (double oven and ceramic hob), microwave, fridge freezer and slim dishwasher. The kitchen diner has a low beamed ceiling and one very low beam (max headroom 6’).
- From the sitting room, a flight of stairs leads up to the landing.
- Shower Room: with electric shower in shower cubicle, WC and basin.
- Bedroom 2: A curtained doorway leads from the landing into a small bedroom with single bed.
- From the landing, four narrow stairs lead up to the main bedroom, open gallery-style, with bannisters over the landing and staircase.
- Bedroom 1: A spacious bedroom rug over original dark oak floorboards (uneven); original cast iron fireplace (decorative); four-poster double bed, curtained to offer additional privacy as the room is open to the landing/staircase, well furnished with wardrobe, dressing table and bedside tables. 24” smart tv /built in DVD player. A hairdryer is provided.
- To the front is a small, enclosed, south-facing cottage garden and patio area with garden furniture. No garden to the rear. Parking is on street, usually possible directly to the front of the cottage or close by.
- The cottage is heated by the wood burning stove (logs provided) as well as wall-mounted electric convector heaters; fan heater in the bathroom.
- Electricity, WiFi and heating included; logs provided
- Bed linen and towels provided
- Travel cot, highchair and stairgate available on request
- No smoking inside please
Fiddlers cottage is ideally located for exploring mid Wales and Shropshire. The cottage was very clean and has everything needed for a short stay, the bed was very comfortable, was able to park outside or very near to cottage. We found the best place to eat was the Dragon hotel but may need to book to get a table. Thanks for a lovely stay.
Cottage is comfortable and convenient for shops, as well as local attractions and walks without getting the car out (the Castle, Town Hill, Offa's Dyke); plus plenty of interesting places further afield.
We really enjoyed our stay at Fiddler's Cottage. It was cosy, well-equipped, clean and comfortable. It's a short walk from Montgomery's pretty town centre. This was an ideal place for us to walk Offa's Dyke, passing close to Montgomery. We would definitely stay again.
Cosy, comfortable and characterful cottage (with a wood burner) in the heart of the small, attractive town of Montgomery. The town has two teashops, a pub, a hotel, a deli, a small supermarket and a weekly market. Town walking trails as well as easy car journeys to places of interest such as Mitchell's Fold Standing Stones, Stokesay Castle and Powis Castle.
Nice cottage in mid point to explore. Good shops a welcoming pub. Most of all very nice people. Cottage it self nice and homely.