In the second of our regular ‘top 7 things to see and do whilst on your holiday in the area’ Jacky, our property recruiter at Wales Cottage Holidays, has been out and about exploring the pretty town of Beaumaris. With its magnificent castle, coastal location and views across the Menai Straits to the mountains of Snowdonia, this is a popular spot all year round.
- Top of the list has to be a visit to the stunning Beaumaris Castle, built as part of Edward I's campaign to conquer the north of Wales! Great for all the family, especially if combined with a visit to the Victorian Gaol museum.
- It’s worth taking plenty of time to stroll through the town. There are lots of independent shops, art galleries, a lovely jewellery shop, a superb bakery (Central Bakery), good cafes and the famous Red Boat ice cream parlour. For dining out, try the Pier House Bistro or The Bull, both highly recommended!
- Take a stroll along the sea front with its pretty pastel houses and really stunning views across the sea to the mountains of Snowdonia, a much photographed view and you will see why.
- Take a cruise down the Menai Straits or over to Puffin Island to spot the birds or seals. Or take a fishing trip. The boats leave from Beaumaris sea front.
- Beaumaris holds many events throughout the year. At the end of May is the Beaumaris Arts Festival, at the beginning of September is the popular food festival. Bonfire night is a big affair here and there is a Victorian Christmas festival at the end of November.
- A short scenic drive down the coast is the ancient Penmon Priory, church and dovecote, all in a stunning location. Stroll or drive down to Penmon Point for spectacular views to the lighthouse and over to Puffin Island.
- Summer or winter, a visit to Beaumaris wouldn’t be complete without going to some of Anglesey’s beaches. The golden sands and popular summer resorts of Benllech, Moelfre and Lligwy are a short drive away and in the other direction, and perfect for winter walks, is Newborough with its little island and walking and biking forest trails.