The Delights of Llanberis
Llanberis a small thriving village at the foot of Snowdon and a superb place to explore throughout the year. I live close by and love to visit Llanberis and the surrounding areas regularly. Here is my list of top things to do while you're staying in the area.
- A trip up Snowdon itself must be at the top of the list, at 1085m high it is highest peak in England and Wales! Go by foot up one of the many footpaths, or from around April to November, take the Snowdon Mountain Railway to the summit.
- Visit the National Slate Museum, full of fascinating history and demonstrations about the Dinorwig slate quarries, it’s free, open most of the year, and in a lovely lake side location in the Padarn Country Park.
- If the weather’s not so great take an underground tour to visit the vast workings of Dinorwig Power Station. Buses will take you deep inside the mountain to see the workings of this vast pumped storage system. Electric Mountain visitor centre also has exhibitions and a Tourist Information centre.
- Llanberis has a very good selection of cafés. The famous Pete’s Eats is a ‘climbers café’, always busy, serving proper homemade chips, pint mugs of tea and much more. Also visit Mafon for homemade goodies from around the world, Llygad yr Haul for fab cakes and Y Pantri for great coffee. In the evening go to Peak Restaurant for fine dining or the Gallt y Glyn for good pizzas.
- Cycle along the shores of the stunning Llyn Padarn or take a circular walk around the lake. Call at Y Caban café in Bryn Refail at the head of the lake, and don’t forget to take that ‘must have’ photo looking across the lake to Dolbadarn Castleto and Snowdon!
- Go for a wild swim in Padarn Lake or visit Snowdonia Watersports to hire a canoe or paddleboard. Lessons and courses are available here along with plenty of summer activities. The ‘lagoons’ area is really popular on a sunny day with a great fun atmosphere. You can also take a cruise or hire a paddle boat on the lake.
- Tan y Draig ceramic painting shop is open most of the year (weekends in winter). Here you can decorate your choice of wares or go with a seasonal theme, perfect for creating something to remember your holiday by!